Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Hunt

Chapter Four
Ebony
September 20, 2011
            “Joey!” my grandmother yelled, “this is the fifth time I’ve hollered for you. Can’t hear me?”
“Huh? Oh sorry Grand ma, I’m just tired. What did you say again?” I asked. I haven’t gotten more than a few hours of sleep these past few days. Every night I have been plagued with nightmare where the ebony eyed girl started to approach me only to get inches away before disappearing. I wake up in the dark, panic and fear running hot through my veins. The clock says 3:36 AM.  It’s gotten worse though, last night I dreamed I was standing in the hall when she materialized behind me. She wrapped her icy fingers around my throat I couldn’t breathe, and I screamed for help. No one came and I felt myself slipping away. I was about to give in to the rising darkness when I woke up mouth open in a silent scream for help. My hands went straight to my neck. Just a dream. I got up and ran cool water over my neck in shower. When I turned it off the neck of my shirt was soak and cold. But it felt so good. I went downstairs to get a drink of water. I was about to head off to bed when I heard my bedroom door close. On its own. Terrified I ran to the living room and sat on the couch. Unable to sleep I watched TV for the rest of the night until Kay got up.
Kay’s usually the first person up so seeing me up shocked her in a way. Though I’m sure she’s heard the scream and whimpers I’m sure I make during the night. Her room is right next to mine and I often hear her tap the walls a night when I wake up screaming. At least I hope it Kay tapping.  She inclines her head and looks at me. “Morning, Kay,” I croak and offer a weak smile. She gives me a look that seems to say what’s wrong ? Concern is written on her face. “It’s a long story.” She just shrugs, getting that I don’t wanna talk about it goes to the kitchen for breakfast.
“Joey!” Grandma yells,”that’s it I’m calling a doctor clearly something is wrong with you.”
“No! Nothing is wrong I’m just stressed! Just LEAVE ME ALONE!” I scream and run up stairs slamming my door. I set on my bed. What the heck? I NEVER yell at grand ma. What’s happening to me?  I’m convinced I’m going crazy, that’s it. All the stress of this black eyed girl has finally cracked me. I lay down exhausted and fall asleep.
            I’m setting in class. Only I’m the only one there. I get up to leave, but the door is locked and won’t open. “Oh, Joey leaving so soon?” I hear a voice behind me say. I spun around. Oh, no. I’m trapped.  There she is, standing by the window. “Joey, come on now, where do you think your gonna go?” She asked.  She was walking closer to me trailing her hands over the desk as she did. Her black eyes locked with mine. “No, where.” I choke out. She’s right on top of me now. Here fingers trace the Amer. Eagle logo on my shirt. She leaning I closer to me now . “No! Get off me NOW!” I try to push her away but she’s to strong. “Don’t struggle Hun, it’s such a turn off.” She says, her mouth getting closer to mine, her golden curls almost brushing my cheeks. I’m squirming now, turning away from her. It’s almost like being pinned to a wall by a bull dozer. Her lips are inches away from mine. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
             I wake up with start. I jump up so fast I fall off the bed and land on my side. The breath is knocked out of me and my lungs scream for air. I just lay there. The dream is still fresh in my mind. I can smell her jasmine perfume. Under that is the smell of sulfur and rotten eggs.  I can still smell it, which scares me. On the floor, wedged between the bed and nightstand, I don’t have a good view of my room. I’m afraid to get up because I’m worried she will be in my room.  Waiting for me to run in to her wicked claws and play her twisted game. I lay there for a while. It’s dark out when I get up go down stairs.Kay’s setting at the table with a spare plate of dinner. She must be waiting for me. “Kay you could have went to bed or whatever you wanted to do.” I grabbed the plate and she just sat there looking at me. I smell the delicious food. Ham and cheese potaoes with a side of green beans. I suddenly realize the last time I ate was yesterday. All I ate then thought was a sandwich. I finish my plate at about 9:15. “Kay go to bed. Ok?”She looks at me worried. We had a stare off for a few moments then she got up and walke away patting my arm as she passed me. “Night,” I whispered.

                                                            September 21, 2011
            I went to the library early in the morning. I hadn’t had any dreams last night, but I woke up early. I went to the library and requested the a computer. “Go to the third one and put in this code. She handed me a piece of paper with the code JJU530FI4. I got on Google and searched ; Black eyes, sulfur odor. I got 65,000 results. I read several links and by the time I was finished I was on the verge of tears. 
            I walked to the front desk and handed her the paper. I walked home and tried to pull myself together. I was shaking and scared. I tried to block the images of her and the pictures I seen online. I knew the moment I seen the results. It was true. No matter how much I tried to deny it I knew what she was and that she wasn’t going to leave me alone. I was her target and she wouldn’t be letting up anytime soon. I was the target of an evil many thought didn’t exist. I was the target of a demon. I was on the verge of a break down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment