Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Hunt

Chapter Three
West Carlton High
           
           
            West Carlton High was a big school in Morgantown, West Virginia. It was a three story brick building. It towered over the campus flag pole. The school had an open campus. Most people would have mistaken it for a college had they never lived in the area. Nearly one thousand students went there. The students quite liked the school. Classes started at nine and ended at three. At noon students had permission to leave the school, as long as they were back by fifteen till. But there were things at the school, clubs organizations seemed hidden from the rest of the students. Only members knew of them, and only way to get in was to be invited, as I was soon to learn.

                                                            September 5, 2011
           Bzzzzzz, Bzzzzzz, Bzzzzzz, Bzzzzzz, Bzzzzzzz!
I hit the snooze button on the alarm.  Five more minutes won’t hurt, I thought rolling over. Ya, right, I hit the snooze button three more times before getting up. I’m going to be late on my first day, great, I thought and sighed.  I went to my closet and got a pair of black faded jeans and black button up shirt with thin white stripes running down it. I grabbed some black socks, and hurried down stairs.
I see Kay has beaten me up. I did something I hadn’t done in years. Since we were both in middle school. I ruffled her perfectly straight hair, and said “morning Kay.” I realized after I did it she looked at me like a grew a second head, but said nothing. I sat down slightly embarrassed.  Oh well, I thought. We ate our breakfast in silence. “Okay, the bus comes by the end of the street around eight fifteen. So you still have twenty minutes. I’d suggest you leave around eight,” Grandma said.
 I put on my white tennis shoes, grabbed my bag, and went out the door. Kay followed shortly after, she was wearing a light blue shirt, jeans, and had her silver purse over her shoulder. I waited for her to catch up. “Ready Kay,” I inquired. She simply nodded her head and kept walking.
We didn’t have to wait long before the packed buss pulled up and opened its door. The driver was an older thin man. He seemed oblivious to the noise of the students behind him. I got on the bus and sat in the third seat. Kay sat across from me in the other seat staring out the window.
“Dude, is that your sister?” I turned around to see a boy in a football jersey talking to me. He was blonde and he had a summers tan. Ya and your point is…  I wanted to say, but all I did was nod. “She’s kinda hot.”  This caught me off guard, what he say.  Ever since lost our parents I was protective of  Kay. I eyed him suspiciously and said “excuse me?” , but he was to distracted with looking at Kay to notice what I said.  Great, this is the last thing I needed, a horny guy chasing my baby sister.  Then I realized I hadn’t thought of Kay as my baby sister in a while. Geez what was happening to me. I was so lost in thought by the time we got to the school that I almost forgot to get off. Sticking close to Kay we made our way to the main office.
The secretary was a pudgy older woman, with copper hair and pointed glasses. “Um, excuse me?”
“Yes, can I help you?” She said with a raspy voice.  “Uh were new here.”
“You and every other freshman in the area.” She said dismissively; just go to your homeroom.
“No, no, no, we need to enroll we just moved here”
“Oh. Names?”
“Josef and Kayla Fox,” I said.
“Right okay your grandmother called and enrolled you Friday .OK?”
I nodded.  Now what?  As if she heard me she said, “Josef Fox, Homeroom Martin room 613, Kayla Fox, Homeroom Ricarma  Room 325.”
We walked out of the office, and I turned to Kay and said, “If you need me for anything text me. Okay?” She nodded and walked away.
I walked in to my homeroom a little late. The blonde jock gestured for me to come set by him surprisingly. I told the teacher why I was late and sat down. The teacher called roll, “Calla Allen, Lisa Broaden, Mark Byron….” I learned that the blonde jocks name was Eric Harman. He kept talking to me asking me questions on who I was, where I was from, and what my classes were. By the time class ended I was slightly irritated and ready to get away from him. I walked down the hall thinking to myself, what’s he playing at. I hope this isn’t an attempt to get to Kay by me.  I went to my locker which was on the second floor. I, like almost all juniors, had gym next.
The gym was hot and stuffy. “Josef, My man! What’s up?!”  Ugh not again!
 I turned to see Eric coming to towards me with what I guess were fellow jocks and friends of his.  “Hey” I said, “oh and it uh, Joey.” “Ah, whatever man. No harm, no foul.” “Come sit coach is coming,” he said waving his hand toward the bleachers.
“Good Morning students. Its, for most of you,” he said gazing at a few seniors, ” junior year. So with that being said I expect you to act like juniors. Understood? Yes, good. Now for gym class you will need shorts and a tee shirt. You can also use sweat pants if you prefer.” He said. Now before I continue for those of you new birds my name is Coach, not Mr, Coach Lawrence. Anyway if you forget your cloths you set out and do written work. If you have a problem with that, well get over it and tell someone who actually cares.” He went on talking about runs and activities we would do, who had to set where in gym. Boy sat on the left, girls on the right etc.
After gym I went to my locker. The hall didn’t have that many people in it when I got there, and by the time I was ready to go to class there was only one other person in the halls. She was junior as well. Pretty too, she was slender and had bleached blond wavy hair. She was wearing a ruffled pink shirt and white wash jeans. She turned to look at me and my heart froze when her eyes met mine. It wasn’t because of her breath-taking beauty. Her eyes where pitch black. I blinked thinking I was seeing things. No her eyes were black! It looked as though her pupil covered her whole eye on each side. She began to smile a sinister smile and started slowly approaching me. Fear shot up my spine.
“Amy there you are,” a tall red headed boy said from down the hall behind her. She stopped and frown as she cocked her head slightly toward him. She gave me a smug look and her eyes returned to a normal state of hazel. The red headed boy put his hand on her shoulder and gave me threating look that seemed to say, back off. Not a problem, dude,  I thought shutting my locker. She continued to stare at me as I walked away. I was relieved to no longer feel her eyes on my back as turned the corner, and was out of her vision.  I went to the rest of my classes, but all I could think of was the black eyed girl with the evil smile.  Who was she, what was she, and why was she looking at me. I was so lost in thought I didn’t even notice the bell had rung until the other students had gone, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment