Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Hunt: Claire's Tale (Claire's Vs. Cassidy)


Claire’s Tale

(Claire’s POV)

            I woke up with my head on Joey’s arm. He was asleep; some of his black curls had fallen in front of his eyes. He looked so…peaceful. I stared for a minute at his face. It wasn’t the hard line of high cheekbones and jawbones like Michael’s face, but softer around the edges though still very defined features.

             I got up slowly trying not to disturb Joey. The bed creaked at I stood up. I winced at the sound of the metal springs, which Joey thankfully ignored. I walked to the door and prayed that the floor and door didn’t creak to loud. It didn’t; at least not until I got outside the room.

            Michael was setting in the kitchen. I walked in, and got a cup of coffee. “ What’s up, babe?” 

            “Not now, Michael. Not ever.” I said. That awful jerk thinks I will just forget what happened. Any way, I’m with Joey now. Ish. “So. Cassidy huh?”  I asked. Michael took another sip of coffee, “What about her?” I almost expected sympathy, but he wouldn’t know what had happened. I grabbed my coffee and walked back down the hall. I opened Joey’s door.  He was setting on the bed his hair was ruffled. He looked so…adorable. I smiled and so did he. My brain instantly reacted to compare him and Michael. He was easy to be around while Michael was so intimidating. “ Morning,” he said drowsily, “I thought you left.”

            “Nah, just went to get coffee.” I sat down on the bed beside him. It was silent for a few minutes, but it was a comfortable silence. “Mind if I turn the radio on?” I asked. “What radio?” he said looking around.  I pulled a small portable mp3 out and turned it on. “Well?” I inquired. He looked at me, “ Oh, ya sure.”  I turned it on and tuned a station. ‘Rockstar’ by Nickleback came over the speakers. “I love this song,” I said. I stood up and dance around. Joey watched me and I stuck my hand out. “ Wanna dance?!” He took my hand and I pulled him up. After a while of twirling and laughing, we plopped down on the bed. As we tried to catch our breath Joey managed to say, “ So, why do you hate Cassidy? If you don’t mind me asking.”

            I sighed. Might as well tell him right? “ Well mostly because she’s to… two-faced.”  Joey looked confused ( typical Cassidy. Make everyone think she is a nice incredible person. I thought) “ Well , when John started hunting he was only around 17. He was an inexperienced novice. Well after a while he got better but still was an amateur, as was I. Well not long after we ran into each other about a year or two after he started hunting. We had been hunting together for a few months now, best of friends. Then one night a demon showed up. Me and John tried everything we could think of to fight it. Then Cassidy showed up. Out of nowhere dirty, sweaty, and bloody. She looked at the demon just as it had pick John up without touching him. ‘Hey ugly! Over here!’ The demon turned and dropped John. She exercised it. John thanked her and offered her a place to stay for the night. I liked her at first, she stayed awhile so we were like sisters.” I paused.

            “So what was the problem?” Joey asked. “John. She ...I …we view him differently. I seen him as like a brother or maybe even fatherly. However Cassidy liked him as well a boyfriend. So she was extremely jealous. I mean me and John were very close. We’d been living together for months now. Well Cassidy thought we were more than friends. So she decided to put an end to it.”

            “She would do little things at first. Like hide silly things. Things that I was in charge of and that I should have known where they were. Like one time I was in charge of the knife sharpener. I had put it in the hall closet- don’t ask- and when I went back it was gone. John was upset, but not mad mad. Then Cassidy came in and opened the kitchen cabinet and there it was! I knew I hadn’t put it there, so when the same thing happened with some holy water during a hunt I was suspicious. Especially when Cassidy happened to have a bottle handy. My bottle. Well it kept happening, I tried to ignore it.  By now Cassidy and John were a thing. I didn’t know it though, not until I seen them kissing in the kitchen one morning. They didn’t know I was there and they were making out on the counter. I was only like 15 so I just stood there and stared. They kissed for about five minutes and then broke apart. That’s when Cassidy seen me. She looked in my eyes and scowled. I could tell I was blushing, and then John turned around and seen me. His face turned tomato red.”

            Joey broke in, “You caught John  and Cassidy making out on the counter?! Ew! I get food off of that!” He was laughing. He had a nice laugh that made me laugh too. Michael’s laugh was cold and always sounded fake. I liked Joey’s better. I shifted my position to continue the story, “ Cassidy looked at me and said, ‘Do you mind?’       I shook my head, spun around and went back to my room. Thst when they officially became a couple. About a month later we were hunting a Djinn and needed silver dipped in lambs blood. Gross I know. We got the knifes and went in, knifes with the blood in the sheaths. See we cover them in blood so the blood will stay on when we pull them out of the holders. Any way we got in there and were looking around. Well me and Cassidy went one way and John went another. Well Cassidy was looking under the stairs and the Djinn came up behind her in the dark. He grabbed her and his hand turned blueish-green and he tried to touch her head. She screamed and started to fight it. ‘Claire. Don’t just stand there help me!’ She yelled. I reached for my knife only to find it wasn’t there. So I stood there not sure what to do. That’s when John ran in and stabbed it. He shoved the dead Djinn off of her and pulled a shaking Cassidy in to his lap. He looked at me…” I broke off and realized I was crying. So had Joey, and he pulled me closer to him and I laid my head on his shoulder. “ His eyes were filled with worry and fear for Cassidy and hatred for me. I stood there thinking about how did I lose my knife. When we walked out Cassidy bumped into me and yelled, ‘get away from me!’ When we got outside John said, ‘Claire! What was that, you could have got her killed!’ I told them I didn’t have my knife that I must have dropped it. John’s face got so… angry and pointed to my sheath ‘ what is that then?!’ I gave him a look that said what? I felt for the knife and sure enough it was there. When we got home Cassidy and John stayed in the kitchen and talked. I heard bits and pieces about me but I was crying so I didn’t pick up much. The next morning John woke me up and said let’s go for a ride. He looked… upset, but determined. We drove down the road then pulled up near my mom’s house. ‘what are we doing here’ I asked. John looked at me and said, ‘Claire… I … We… Cassidy and I think  that you should go home. You’re only fifteen and your hardly trained enough to take care of yourself let alone help on a hunt. I’m sorry, but you’re just too young for this. Go home live a life.’ I started crying, ‘but… John.. I –‘  but he broke me off and said, ‘Claire , just go. Get out of the car. Don’t make this hard for yourself. Okay? Bye.’ I got out and stood there. When I walked in the door my mom asked me what the bleep was I doing back? I just shook my head and walked past her up the stair and in to my old room.” I told Joey. I was still sobbing, but not much. “What happened then?” he asked. “ I was there for about three weeks before one day as I was walking home from school, and I seen John parked outside, I walked over and said ‘What are you doing here.’ He said, ‘Claire I need you to come back. Cassidy left and I need my buddy back.’  I couldn’t believe his nerve. I almost punched him in the face. ‘and why would I want to come back John. You told me I was useless. That I weigh you down!’ He told me he didn’t mean all that.  I decided to go back because I didn’t want to go home and he told me Cassidy had left but not why. I didn’t care. She had turned John against me. And that’s why I don’t like her.”

            Joey was so quiet I thought he was asleep. “ Joey?” I asked. “I’m here Claire. I just can’t believe John would do that, I mean…”

            “ I know it doesn’t sound like him, but it was.” I told him. We laid back down and just laid there.  I was glad to get that one problem off my chest but there were still problems on the list. “Joey, what are we going to do about Michael?”

            “ Um… I don’t know Claire. I really don’t know.”

1 comment: